World

Israeli Troops Crossed Into a Village the Lebanese Army Now Runs and Built a Dirt Barrier 100 Meters From the Square

Zawtar al-Gharbiya was one of two 'pilot zones' handed to Lebanon's military under a U.S.-brokered June framework. Residents woke Saturday to an earthen berm at the eastern entrance. Israel's military said it was unaware of any such operation.

· 3 min read
Israeli Troops Crossed Into a Village the Lebanese Army Now Runs and Built a Dirt Barrier 100 Meters From the Square

Israeli forces entered a southern Lebanese village that had been formally transferred to the Lebanese army weeks earlier and built an earthen barrier at its eastern entrance overnight, Lebanese officials said Saturday, in an incident a Lebanese military source described as a violation of the framework agreement governing the area.

The village is Zawtar al-Gharbiya, in the Nabatieh district. It is one of only two locations designated as "pilot zones" under the U.S.-sponsored framework signed in June, the arrangement meant to demonstrate that the Lebanese Armed Forces can assume security control in the south as Israeli troops withdraw. The Lebanese army deployed there on July 21. Roughly 50 families have returned to the village since.

Residents discovered the barrier at daybreak. "We were surprised to see the barrier in the morning, located around 100 meters from the town square," Mayor Abed Ezzeddine said. An Agence France-Presse correspondent confirmed the berm at the village's eastern entrance. Lebanon's state-run National News Agency reported that an Israeli force advanced into the village shortly after midnight. Al Jazeera reported that Lebanese soldiers were injured during the intrusion.

The Israeli military said it was not aware of such an event in the area.

The pilot zones matter out of proportion to their size. The June framework, negotiated with heavy American involvement after Israel's invasion and occupation of southern Lebanon, is built on a sequenced trade: Lebanon disarms Hezbollah, and Israel withdraws in stages. Neither side trusts the other to move first, so the pilot zones function as a proof of concept — small, specific pieces of territory where the Lebanese army takes over and both sides can observe whether the handover holds. An Israeli incursion into one of exactly two such zones, three weeks after the transfer, cuts against the premise of the entire arrangement.

The timing is pointed. Lebanese and Israeli delegations concluded a seventh round of negotiations in Rome on Friday, talks that have been grinding through the mechanics of withdrawal lines, disarmament verification and the future of the Israeli positions still held inside Lebanese territory. Israeli forces have continued to conduct intermittent strikes in southern Lebanon despite the June ceasefire, and Hezbollah has rejected the agreement outright and refuses to surrender its weapons — leaving the Lebanese state committed to a disarmament it has limited capacity to compel.

For the families who returned to Zawtar al-Gharbiya, the practical question is narrower and more immediate. Earthen barriers of the kind built overnight are used to close roads and channel movement; they are the physical vocabulary of occupation rather than of withdrawal. Their appearance inside a village that had just been declared secure enough for the Lebanese army to run is the sort of fact that determines whether displaced residents elsewhere in the south believe it is safe to go home.

Lebanon's government has not said publicly what recourse it intends to pursue. The framework's monitoring provisions run through the U.S.-chaired mechanism established after the November 2024 ceasefire.

Originally reported by Arab News.

Lebanon Israel Hezbollah ceasefire Middle East Zawtar al-Gharbiya