Breaking News

Trump Says Iran Ceasefire on 'Massive Life Support' After Rejecting Tehran's Offer and Drone Strike on UAE's Barakah Nuclear Plant

Hours after a drone hit an electrical generator at the Arab world's only nuclear power plant, President Trump dismissed Iran's counterproposal as 'unbelievably weak' as oil topped $110 and bond yields spiked.

· 4 min read

President Donald Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Monday that the U.S.-Iran ceasefire is on "massive life support" after he rejected Tehran's latest counterproposal to end nearly three months of war, a setback that has thrown markets, oil prices and Gulf diplomacy back into crisis mode just hours after a drone strike sparked a fire at the United Arab Emirates' Barakah nuclear power plant. "The ceasefire is on massive life support," Trump said, dismissing Iran's offer as "unbelievably weak" and warning, in a Truth Social post Sunday, that "the Clock is Ticking" for Tehran to accept American terms "or there won't be anything left of them."

The Iranian proposal, transmitted through Pakistani mediators last week, demanded war reparations, an end to U.S. sanctions and recognition of Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz, according to officials briefed on the talks. Trump's team flatly rejected each demand. The American plan, in turn, requires Iran to reopen the waterway, where a fifth of the world's seaborne oil passed before the war, in exchange for the U.S. lifting its naval blockade of Iranian ports over the next month. The Strait has been effectively closed to commercial shipping since late March, with Aramco warning earlier this week that reopening will not be a "quick fix" even after a deal.

The diplomatic collapse comes on top of a sharp battlefield escalation. A drone struck an electrical generator on the perimeter of the $20 billion Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant in Al Dhafra, about 225 kilometers west of Abu Dhabi, on Sunday afternoon, the first attack on the Arab world's only operating nuclear facility. The UAE Defence Ministry said three drones entered from the western border; air defenses intercepted two, while a third caused the fire. No injuries were reported and radiation levels remained normal, but one reactor temporarily ran on emergency diesel generators. IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi called the strike "unacceptable" and demanded "maximum military restraint near any nuclear power plant." The UAE has not publicly blamed Iran, but an adviser to UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed wrote on X that the attack "bears the fingerprints of Tehran and its proxy network."

Markets reacted immediately. Brent crude pushed back above $110 a barrel in Asian trading Monday, the 10-year Treasury yield brushed 4.6%, and the dollar weakened against the Swiss franc as a bond rout that has rattled Wall Street since last week deepened. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, pressed by Democratic Rep. Pete Aguilar at a House Appropriations subcommittee hearing last week for documentation on the ceasefire, replied tersely: "A ceasefire means the fire is ceasing." Pentagon estimates of the war's cost have climbed to roughly $29 billion, up from $25 billion last month, with about 15,000 U.S. service members now deployed under Project Freedom, the convoy and strike package Trump announced May 4.

The ceasefire has been on borrowed time for weeks. U.S. destroyers in the Strait of Hormuz came under coordinated missile, drone and small-boat attacks last month, prompting American "self-defense strikes" on the Iranian ports of Bandar Abbas and Qeshm. The Wall Street Journal's editorial board, in a piece that drew a furious Truth Social response from Trump, argued that Iran had broken the truce repeatedly and that the U.S. response had been inadequate to restore deterrence. With Iran's Foreign Minister insisting an agreement is "just inches away" but criticizing "maximalist demands" from Washington, and Trump publicly contemplating renewed strikes, the question now confronting both governments is whether the diplomatic track, brokered by Pakistan and quietly assisted by Oman, can survive another week of headlines.

Originally reported by CNN.

iran ceasefire trump uae barakah hormuz